--- "DO IT YOURSELF" ENTRY ------- PURPOSE: To allow children with fine motor and grasping difficulties hold an adapted eating utensil to participate in meal times. MATERIALS USED: Empty prescription bottle or 35mm film container, scissors, playdough or modeling clay.
1. If you are using a prescription bottle, select the size that seems most appropriate.
2. Remove the cap of the film container or prescription bottle.
3. With a pair of scissors, make a small incision into the bottom of the film container or prescription bottle.
4. Insert the spoon into the incision.
5. If the spoon does not fit snugly, anchor it by placing playdough or modeling clay inside the container.
Ways to Adapt this Activity
Adapt a spoon by using tubular foam pipe insulation. Cut the pipe insulation into a 3-inch section. Place the spoon inside the insulation. If needed, cut the insulation so it fits snugly around the spoon. Wrap tape around the pipe insulation to secure it to the spoon.
Author: Designing Environments for Successful Kids (D.E.S.K.), Wisconsin AT Initiative, Fort Atkinson, WI